Please read the instructions at least 2 weeks prior to the procedure to ensure you follow the directions.
To complete a successful colonoscopy, the bowel must be clean so that the physician can clearly view the colon. The preparation is specially designed to help cleanse the colon to allow the best examination.
- Seven days prior to your colonoscopy, do not take Advil, Motrin, Alka Seltzer, Arthritis pills, Aleve, Ibuprofen. Discuss any Aspirin intake with your physician.
- Hold -off on taking any blood thinners for four days prior to procedure (Coumadin, Plavix, newer oral anticoagulants) after obtaining your physician’s approval and instructions.
- Stop taking any Iron supplements. Tylenol can be taken if needed.
- Two nights before your procedure, take 2 Dulcolax tablets or 30ml milk of magnesia or Mag Citrate.
- The day before your colonoscopy you are allowed to take your regular medication.
- If you are a Diabetic, please discuss your medication dose with your physician.
- The morning of your colonoscopy, you are allowed to take your Blood Pressure, Heart or Liver medications.
Do not drive for at least 24 hours after your procedure. You will be administered medication that will leave you drowsy. Therefore, you must arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home after the procedure.
Bowel prep is done to clear the bowel of all solid matter and be clear and transparent after completion of prep. Begin the bowel prep the day before your scheduled colonoscopy.
Split bowel Preparation
You will need the following from the pharmacy:
- Poly Ethylene Glycol (PEG) Electrolyte Lavage Solution, e.g.: Colyte, Trilyte, Suprep.
- 4-6 Dulcolax tablets, or 4 Oz Magnesium Citrate, or 4 Oz Milk of Magnesia ( OTC).
The day before your colonoscopy:
- Drink only clear liquids. AVOID ALL RED, PURPLE COLORED DRINKS.
- DO NOT eat any solid food, milk or milk products.
- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of clear liquids prior to starting bowel preparation.
- You may have clear liquids like the following:
- Water, Coconut water (without any residue or solids), Coffee, tea (without cream or milk)
- Apple, White grape juice, White grape juice, White cranberry juice.
- Popsicles, Italian ice, Gatorade
- Clear broth, Bouillon (vegetable, beef or chicken)
- Jell-O, Kool Aid, Orange, Sprite (regular or diet)
You may need to go to the toilet right away. You will have many bowel movements throughout the day and they will become very watery. The bowels are clean and clear when there is only pale yellow fluid without flecks of stool. The timing given below can be discussed with the physician to suit your work hours.
Follow the schedule given below:
**TAKE 2 DULCOLAX TABLETS WITH CLEAR LIQUIDS AT BEDTIME THE NIGHT BEFORE THE PROCEDURE IF THE BOWEL MOVEMENTS ARE NOT CLEAR.
2:00PM: Refrigerate the colon cleansing lavage solution after adding water and constituting the mixture according to directions on the package container.
5:00 – 8.00 PM: Start drinking the cleaning solution mixture. Drink 1 glass every 10-15 minutes. Finish drinking the first half of the mixture with 1-2 hours. You may use a straw or drink slowly if feeling full or nauseous.
3:00AM or 4 hours prior to leaving for the procedure: Finish drinking the second half of the mixture within 1-2 hours.
Do not eat, drink after midnight. You may take medications with small amounts of water.If you have difficulty drinking the cleaning solution, or if the bowel movements are not clear, and if you are experiencing cramping, bloating, nausea, or vomiting, please call the office at 630-325-8684.